Entrepreneurship (And Management) Development (EMD) Center/ ED Cell
All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) was established by an Act of Parliament in 1987 with a view to promote proper planning and co-ordinated development of the technical education system throughout the country.
As a Part of its functions, AICTE provides financial assistance to promote research and development in technical institutions and to enhance industry institute interaction under various schemes like Industry Institute Partnership Programme (IIP), Entrepreneurship and Management Development (EMD), National Facilities in Engineering and Technology with Industrial Collaboration (NAFETIC), etc. in the field of Engineering and Technology through the Bureau of ‘Research & Institutional Development’.
In this sense, the AICTE approved the grant-in-aid rupees 4.00 lakhs only under the scheme of EMD to our college vide F.No.8022/RID/BOIII-EMD(66)/2003-04, dated : 21.07.2004 for meeting the expenditure for implementing the scheme with a chief coordinator.
Moreover, in the year 2021-22, DOTE-IEDP tie-up allotted one ED (Entrepreneurship Development) cell to our polytechnic college (SPOKE college) which will function in coordination with a Regional Hub (HUB and SPOKES model),where government polytechnic college, Trichy is the HUB (Nodal Institute) for Trichy Region.
Objectives Of The Scheme
- To create an environment for self-employment and entrepreneurship development through formal and non-formal programmes.
- To introduce the concept of entrepreneurship in curricular at diploma and degree levels.
- To develop management personnel at appropriate levels for the non-corporate and unorganized sectors like education, rural development, small-scale industry, etc.
- To utilize the infrastructure facilities and technically trained manpower for the development of non-corporate and unorganized sectors.
- To promote employment opportunities.
The objectives of the ED cell can also be summarized as,
- Capacity building of college principal and faculty to support Entrepreneurship & Innovation.
- Create and Build an Entrepreneurial & Innovative Ecosystem with effective partnership.
- Providing early exposure to entrepreneurship and start-up culture to the young polytechnic college students.
- Funding and mentor support to students.
Activities Of The Center
The center is expected to promote industry institute linkage such as :-
- To conduct entrepreneurship development programmes on full time / Part time basis exclusively for working professionals.
- To conduct Special courses for fresh diplomas from various disciplines for establishing an enterprise & its management.
- To support continuing education needs of personnel in areas of technology and management.
- To support skill development activities particularly catering to specific areas of requirement in that region.
- To provide a platform to take-up ‘Entrepreneurship’ as an alternative career.
- To identify and provide solutions for the problems of small business management & entrepreneurs.
- To provide training & retraining of entrepreneurs through a variety of programmes.
Thiru A.VAITHILINGAM ALIAS MUTHU, M.E.,
Lecturer (Sel.Gr.)/ Civil Engg.
Thiru. M. SATHISHKUMAR, B.E.,